RE: (ASCEND) Multi-IP NAT

On Tuesday, September 16, 1997 6:11 PM, Kevin Smith
[SMTP:kevin@ascend.com] wrote:

> This only refers to the old many-to-many IP address translation that
> utilized DHCP server on the remote side. Single-IP mode NAT supports
> multiple local hosts with a SINGLE assigned IP from the server.
>
> 5.1A will work the way you wanted it...

I have a NAT-ish question that perhaps someone can answer.

I currently have a P50 running 5.0ap13.  A class C was provided by my ISP
and is utilized for both the P50 and all of the client workstations.  I
wish to subnet-10 the local network and install a full-fledged firewall as
part of the changeover.

My question is this: can I use the NAT capabilities of the P50 with 5.1A
to allow me to migrate the local IP numbering over somewhat gradually in
preparation for the firewall (which will provide its own NAT support)?

Since I can't change all of the IPs at the same time and I don't have the
hardware to put together a full test system, I can envision a situation
where I have a few subnet-10 guinea pigs.  The rest of the users on the
original class C need to remain operational.

Can 5.1A do this for me?  For that matter, any tips for my transition
would be greatly appreciated (I learn as I go here).

TIA.

Todd A. Scalzott, Kastle Systems, LLC.          Team OS/2
Work: todd@kastle.com   Personal: scalzott@netcom.com
PGP okay.