Re: (ASCEND) My new p75 was toast - it lives again

At 02:25 PM 9/17/97 +0100, Aron Bibby wrote:
>On Sep 16, 12:28pm, Kevin Smith wrote:
>>
>> Since it was running 5.0A, it was an "old" P75....
>>

>..and I looked properly this time, and it had a switch.  Was there a cut off
>point (serial #-wise) when the change was made?  The FTP site says
>722XXXX, but mines a 728XXXX...

There is also this note on the FTP README file:

>To ensure that you load the correct code image, we recommend that you check
>in the Sys Options status window to view the load of code that is currently
>in your router.  To view the current load, hit the tab key seven times, and
>then hit the down arrow four times.  For example, if you see "Load: b2.p75",
>then load the b2.p75 image.  If your router does not display the current load
>or you are unsure about which load to use, please contact technical support.

>OK, so I'm delving around under the lid, and I see emblazened on the
>motherboard of the aforementioned "old" P75:
>
>Pipeline 50 S I/F with POTS
>
>Also, interestingly, unlike the p50's I've done there is a completely
>different serial number on the motherboard to the one on the outside
>(9 digits instead of 7 digits)
>
>Anyway, the reason I'm kinda making a hoo-har is the fact I'm in the middle
>of upgrading ~100 p50/p75's to 5.0A, and the same will probably happen
>in a years time, when the problem may not be so obvious :-/

The README files will have to be made more clear with the many different
platforms and versions that are/will be out there. I'll talk to the TAC
about putting a WARNING/NOTICE about this....

<snip>

>Worked like a dream, playing with 5.1A now... :-)
>
>Many thanks,
>Aron

Whew....I was worried it might have been P2 ...    8^)

Kevin