Re: (ASCEND) dslpipe-s issues.

> >Is it just me, or did Ascend forget to put a *programmable* bandwidth
> >limit on these stupid units?
>
> It is on the list of features that are destined for the product, it was
> not included in the first release since the original customer spec didn't
> require it. We should have a software release with programmable rate
> settings by the end of this month.

Sounds good;  I feel sort of cheated in knowing that it's not there now,
but.. them's the breaks.  Ascend coders have more than enough work on
their hands I'm sure.  Unfortunately, I have to devise something for
*right now* .. w/o traffic shaping at my fingertips, I have myself a bit
of a dilemma.

> >Is there a later release of the software that gives you this
> >functionality?  It seems like a fairly basic function;  Paradyne supports
> >it natively.  I want this feature, damnit. :)
>
> This aside, are there any other features/issues related to the DSL-PIPE ?
>
> ...maybe 2 S-DSL interfaces for 1.544M ? ;)

I'm actually surprised that Ascend didn't implement a full HDSL solution
that uses 2 pair for 1.54Mb like most other units;  given your track
record with MPP and inverse multiplexing, it seems like something that
wouldn't be that hard to implement.. mind you, how much horsepower can you
expect to get out of a Pipeline's routing engine .. I'm surprised it
thinks it can handle 768k. >:)

The only other issues that should be taken care of in later releases (I
brought down 5.1A for it) .. is the elimination of the ISDN-type features
in the unit;  it looks like a pipeline, it still thinks it has BRIs (try
changing the Max/Base Ch settings.. it's still asking for (1..2).  That,
and maybe unconfuse the FR/MPP issue in the manual.. it's not very clear
by any means.. and the addition of configurable speed rates. *cough cough*

Thnx.

--
Gilles Melanson       - ViaNet Internet Solutions
SysAdmin/Network Eng. - 128 Larch St., Sudbury, Ontario, Canada P3E 5J8