(ASCEND) Any hope for Motorola 56K modems?

A few customers of ours have upgraded their modems to the Motorola 56K's
(had they asked me first I would've recomended against it, but...) I've
heard of the problems folks have been having involving the inability to
connect at anything above ~38K, but these people can't even get THAT.
They all run Win95.  They can dial-up, connect, get authenticated, but
when a ppp session is attempted they are ultimately disconnected.  Win95
has no explaination for this; it simply says "You have been
disconnected...".  The C:\WINDOWS\modemlog.txt file in all cases complains
that attemps to load compression software and error correction failed.  It
also states that the MAX hangs-up on them, not them on it.

Any help appreciated,

Jason.