Re: (ASCEND) Zoom 1.002A code

Joe Portman writes:
> On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, Jake Messinger wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, Joseph Bridgewater wrote:
> >
> > > It's the signal power level allowed to be placed onto the phone network.
> > > In order to achieve a 56k connection, the signal would require higher pow
er
> > > to be applied to the network.  FCC regulations limit the power level to a
> > > point that only allows 53k connections.
> >
> > Okay so the FCC specified the signal power and not the actual K thruput.
> > I figured so. So kflex CAN or cannot do 56k? And x2 CAN or CANNOT do 56k?
> > And why am I even asking when the FASTEST Ive seen so far is 44k.
>
> I've seen 52K on a K56flex line. Seen 50K a bunch of times. I get at least
> 48K each and every time on a very clean line (pots jack of ISDN TA).
>
> No one has reported a 54K or 56K connection and quite frankly, I don't
> ever expect to see one outside of a laboratory.

Well, it would be easier to report if it showed up in show users, or via
SNMP.  However, when I was running i13, I saw 56k connects (rarely, but
there) and it was indeed via a modem, not ISDN 56k.  So yes, it's possible
outside a labratory.  Rare, but possible.  I have no idea how connect
speeds are doing now, however, since Ascend refuses to unlink transmit
and recieve rates.   (Which should have been released in 5.0, since
it's not a 56k issue, split speeds happen in v.34 as well.  Either give
us a new incremental with the new modem code, or release 5.1... and
I'd prefer a new incremental, because apparently your test labs are doing
a great job.  "SLIP? whats that?")

--Dan