Re: (ASCEND) Zoom 1.002A code

On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, Jason Nealis wrote:

>  Agreed, I 2 saw this with the Zoom modem, It seems they have given
> away a little of the speed to ensure a stable connection. I use to
> connected at straight 50k now I'm seeing 46 and 44k connections.
> Go Figure.
[snip]

I would remind you all that connection rates change all the time while
you're online.  You may negotiate higher or lower, but the true way to
know what your speed is depends on whether you have an LCD window to show
you that or a software equivalent.  Sorry Microsoft, your initial
connection window doesn't help while you're online!

I get so annoyed when people say "Oh, I only get a 26400, 24600, or 21600
connection, but never 28800."  I simply have to reply, "Yes, that was your
initial connection, but that changes while you're online - for better or
for worse."  Then again, not everyone can have a SupraFax28.8 external
modem with the wonderful display that flashes the current send and receive
rate every 10 seconds, can they?
--
Joseph Hickman
  Director of Network Operations