Re: (ASCEND) Multi-IP NAT

At 01:16 PM 9/16/97 -0700, rj wrote:
>This is from the 5.1A release docs:
>>The older NAT mode, multiple-IP mode, is now available only on version 2
hardware of the Pipeline 75.

>I have the older hardware, yet I want to be able to use the older NAT
>model of multiple IP because it allows one to play QuakeWorld (silly
>reason, but a reason nonetheless).  Is there anyway possible for me to
>do this?  Downgrade to 5.0A incremental release perhaps?

This only refers to the old many-to-many IP address translation that utilized
DHCP server on the remote side. Single-IP mode NAT supports multiple local
hosts with a SINGLE assigned IP from the server.

5.1A will work the way you wanted it...

>On the subject of Multiple-IP mode NAT, does the other have to correctly
>support this?  My ISP has a Livingston BRI, does anyone know if
>Livingston supports this?

All that's required is that the remote end will assign you a single IP
address (32-bit netmask) - whether it's a dedicated address, or dynamic
doesn't matter. I have no reason to believe the Livingston cannot do that.

Kevin