Re: (ASCEND) LAN Security Error

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Steve Camas wrote:

> I see Lan Security Error when someone puts in an IP instead of telling
> Win95 to 'get IP from server'.  Though we don't even use dynamic IPs, the
> server still assigns them (based on their usernames).  If Win95's ppp
> insists on being a particular IP, and the max doesn't want them to have
> the IP they are asking for, it tells them to piss off...

I had a somewhat different problem, though the answer may help you in what
you want.  I wanted our server to boot someone if they gave a bogus ip
upon login [assuming it wasn't one assigned by the pool or static ip
assignment upon radius authentication].  To reverse this process, go to
Ethernet->Mod Config->Wan Options->Pool Only.
Set that to no if you want them to be able to specify any ip [assuming
it's not in use].  The problem is that one of our users actually specified
our DNS as his ip.. you can imagine the fun when the Max created a
duplicate route to that host and all of the tech calls came in.  [It's the
same server that radius accounting and most of our other main functions
reside on.]  Anyway, after implementing this minor change, it's helped
significantly.

[btw, thanks to Atif @ Ascend for suggesting this.]

Also, note, this will not affect static ip users that are given a correct
ip in their radius/Max profiles [assuming they use that ip]
--
Joseph Hickman
  Director of Network Operations