Re: (ASCEND) Pipeline and Firewall Log File

On Tue, Sep 23, 1997 at 06:38:50PM +0100, Magnet.Com AG wrote:

> I try to use the loggin facility in the Ascend Secure Firewall. We have a
> MAX4000 with logging option on to a linux box, that works. When I set the
> same logging option in the pipeline (Ethernet->Mod Config->Log->), I don't
> receive any logging information in the log files.
>
> The best thing would be if it was possible to have the firewall beeing
> logged to an nt-server. My customer wants to know which employe uses the
> isdn-line too much, so he wants to log smtp-connections and
> http-connections. In the fire wall, I set to "Log all packets".
>
> The weird thing is, that I don't get anything to be logged from the
> pipeline, with or without the firewall. What do I do wrong?

First guess: your Linux syslogd is not started with option -r and thus
takes no network messages at all. For some odd reason developers of
syslogd changed the behavior in an incompatible way and added the option
to allow syslogd to acept network messages instead of adding an option
to deny it. Anyway, we have to live with it.

Second guess: your /etc/syslog.conf doesn't log the facility and level
the Ascend logs to, or specifies files which do not exist.

BTW, if you want to log to NT, watch out for SL4NT (Altavista etc.) - this
is the best implementation I've found so far.

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |