Re: (ASCEND) Kerberos / NT's Auth. and MAX

At 08:39 AM 9/26/97 -0700, Matt Holdrege wrote:
>At 09:25 AM 9/26/97 -0500, Mike Adams wrote:
>>In getting some of the inside poop on NT 5.0 it seems that they are
>>using kerberos internally ( or at least that is what is planned ) Since
>>Microsoft has kept their radius in beta, does anyone know if they plan
>>to Kerberos as opposed to RADIUS and will Ascends support Kerberos?
>
> I'm not sure, but I do believe that it is illegal to export Kerberos from
> the US.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and you should not take this as legal advice.

No, it is not illegal to export Kerberos *binaries* that are used for
authentication-only purposes.  Currently, authentication is exempted
from the need to obtain an export license.

Some of the encryption options for telnet or rlogin clients that make use of
Kerberos would not be exportable except in certain specific cases (for a
foreign office of a wholy-owned U.S. subsidiary, certain banking uses, etc)
unless an export license was obtained.

It is illegal to export Kerberos *sources* that include encryption algorithms
(or even the "hooks" to permit encryption algorithms to be easily added)
without first obtaining an export license.  This is because the source to
the algorithms (in electronic form) are considered to be munitions (although
the normal printed form are not).

> Since Microsoft has kept their radius in beta, does anyone know if they
> plan to Kerberos as opposed to RADIUS and will Ascends support Kerberos?

Ascend Access Control [the non-free RADIUS server from Ascend] already has
support for Kerberos V4 on platforms which support Kerberos V4 (Solaris)
and the commerce department has agreed Access Control can be exported without
a license.

Kerberos V4 and Kerberos V5 are not by default interoperable.

It is likely that, if Microsoft does release Windows NT 5.0 with Kerberos V5
support, then shortly [2-6 months] after the release of Windows NT 5.0 [which
may be after Q2 1998], Access Control will add support for Kerberos V5.
This is the most likely option for adding Kerberos support with an Ascend
box.

Kevin