Re: (ASCEND) RIP

> Group,
>
> I've noticed that RIP and RIPv2 both send host specific routes (PPP
> users)
> to my BAY router, i.e.
>
> Destination		Mask			Next Hop Address
> IP-from-pool		255.255.255.255 	Max's IP Address
>
> Is this normal?

This is the normal default behaviour, but you may not want to have it
done that way, in which case you can change it.

If your pool is properly aligned on a subnet boundary, then go into
Ethernet/Mod Config.../WAN options and set Pool Summary=Yes. The Max
will no longer announce /32 (host) routes for addresses in the pools.
Now to compensate, you need to announce a route for the pool itself.
You need to enter this as a static route.

Dest=Your.ip.address.pool/Yoursize
Gateway=127.0.0.2

> A brief explanation of host specific routes on real routers (i.e. not
> the MAX)

The MAX is a real router!!!!

In modern implementations, a host route is nothing but any other kind of
route, with a netmask of 255.255.255.255 or /32.

-Phil