Re: (ASCEND) Max 6.1.3, Modem connection to MAX 4000

On  3 Aug 98 at 9:08, Greg Hale wrote:

> We upgraded our 3 4048's on July 23rd.  I'm not familiar with the particular
> modem that you are talking about but I'll tell ya what I've found.  We had
> alot of Diamond Supra Max's that were running fine before the upgrade that
> suddenly quit working when we upgraded to 6.1.3.  These modems can run
> 56flex or v.90 .  We went into the Advanced settings under the Connection
> tab and put in +ms=k56 in the extra settings.  This setting forces the modem
> to run 56flex rather than trying to negotiate a v.90 connection and the
> modems went back to working fine. The +ms setting is used by Zoom, Diamond,
> and Hayes but I'm not sure how much of a standard it is.  Diamond has a good
> explanation of this setting at
> http://www.diamondmm.com/products/manuals/supramax/hispdcom.htm

We've not had any users with client end modems which will do both
V.90 *and* K56Flex, they seem to be all one or the other, and there
have been few problems here.

What could be the problem is that the modem is setting either V.90
or K56flex at the start of the negotiation, but is failing that
protocol somewhere along the line, and ends up totally failing the
call.

Maybe the V.90 / K.56 autodetection isn't quite working somewhere
along the line?

The +MS= commands are common on most of the Rockwell based K56 family
chipsets, so Motorola, Hayes, Zoom, Global Village, Multitech, Pace,
etc will understand this command set.

For the modems I have dealt with so far:

+MS=11 sets V.34 modulation
+MS=12 sets V.90 modulation (with V.34 fallback)
+MS=56 sets K56Flex modulation (with V.34 fallback)

FWIW, I'm running Max 6000s, ebixk.m60 6.1.3, with 6 DM-16 56K cards,
and 3xE1/PRI in each one.

Mike
--
Mike Hughes - Network Services         mike@dircon.net