Re: (ASCEND) Q.931 setup

Q.931 in the UK is generally delivered over twin 75ohm coaxial interface
using G.703 framing (clearchan, unstructured frame).  (as are E1 clearchan
leased lines, generally)

The Ascend Max
40xx terminal server equipment supplied for the UK come with baluns
to interface the twin 75ohm coax to RJ45 necessary to plug into the back
of the unit... If your telco is nice, they should be able to provide
either the baluns for you (which are a little better quality than the
ones supplied with the MAX units), or may even be able to deliver the
Q.931 with RJ45 termination point.

As for configuration/framing type on the Max itself, it's pretty
straightforward... simply use NET-5/UK switch type.  *NOT* G.704
(unless your telco specifies otherwise).

On the MAX:

Net/E1 -> Line config -> PRI1 ->

1st Line=Trunk

back-to-back=N/A
Line 1...

  Sig Mode=ISDN
  Switch Type=Net 5
  Framing Mode=G.703
  Clock Source=Yes
  Overlap Receiving=No

Then configs for each channel should all be like this:
  Ch 1=Switched
  Ch 1 #=   <== blank (not needed on E1 Q.931 since we don't use SPIDs)

Hope this helps.

Leland E. Vandervort                       | Sr. Network Engineer
leland@discpro.org / leland@innotts.com    | internet in nottingham, ltd
http://www.discpro.org/~leland/            | http://www.innotts.co.uk/
Undernet NA Routing-Com Secretary          | +44 (0)115 956-2288