Re: (ASCEND) ara, appletalk and ppp

>From: Derek Vadala <derek@usfca.edu>
>1. I've divided users into two groups and assigned each of those groups to
>a different ip pool and given them ppp access. The problem is that ARA 3.0
>uses PPP to tunnel appletalk requests and I want to be able to stop one of
>the two groups from doing Appletalk things via PPP. Is this possible? I've
>tried the following tags without luck, in one of my templates:
>
>	Prohibit=Prohibit-ARA, # but this seems to be for connections not
>protocols
>	Ascend-Route-Appletalk = 0 # this doesnt seems to have an effect.
>
>I can't seem to find adequate documention about what exactly the appletalk
>attributes do. Perhaps I should disable appletalk on the max and enable it
>in one the radius user templates?

If you have the Max answer an ARA 3 call, the call should be PPP to the
Max, but the Max will strip off the PPP and drop AppleTalk onto the
network. Because of that, your security/restrictions will need to take
place in the AppleTalk realm.

However, if you have the Max not speak AppleTalk, then those PPP calls
wouldn't be able to "do AppleTalk things", but then the ARA 3 calls would
fail.

I can't think of a way to do this, but I'm also not sure I'm exactly
understanding your needs. I can state with certainty that thinking about it
is making my head hurt, but beyond that...

>2. Using old versions of ara, that is to say that they dont use ppp, is it
>possible to have a user account which can use either ppp or ara? Could I do
>something like Framed-Protocol=PPP, Framed-Protocol=ARA? It seems that
>right now I'd have to have two accounts one called joeara and one called
>joeppp with the appropriate configurations in AAC.

I _think_ you have to have two accounts.

It almost seems that you need two Maxen, one to do ARA and the other just
for IP. Perhaps this can be faked with Ascend's vrouter features?

Peter Lalor           Infoasis
plalor@infoasis.com   The San Francisco Bay Area's
415-459-7991 x102     Macintosh Internet Service Provider
415-459-7992 fax      http://www.infoasis.com/