(ASCEND) Ascend Pipeline 50 NAT Question

Recently, I setup NAT for my Ascend Pipeline 50...
and I'm logging in... and surfing... without any
problems... except...

Now, my authentication server thinks I'm idle... and
disconnects me after X minutes... because it doesn't
see any traffic being transmitted.

And, apparently, I can't ping myself locally... but, I can
ping and traceroute to my IP from a remote site.

Is this a known issue with NAT...?   What am I over
looking...?  It appears to be a routing issue of some
sort...?

My pipeline is running OS version 5.1Ap9

Please reply.. thanks in advance!  :)

--Nolan