Re: (ASCEND) I'd like to know the exact meaning of the following Disconnect Reason

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Kyungmin Choi wrote:

> Hi !!
> I got the following result from Account Disconnect Report of NavisAccess.
> But I don't know exactly what it means.
> Is there anyone who tell me this meaning ?

I guess I can take a stab at these.  Should be good practice, since I'm
working on a comprehensive web site to explain exactly these things to our
customers.

> Disconnect Reason                       Progress Type
> -------------------                    -----------------
> 185 - Remote End Hung Up              60 - LAN Session Up

Pretty much normal connection, but was terminated improperly.  Could be
anything from a power problem on the customer's modem, to a telco lineman
cutting the wrong wire.  Most probably, the peer just didn't send a
termination request.

> 185 - Remote End Hung Up              31 - Modem awaiting DCD

Here, the Max was trying to establish a connection with the remote modem,
which couldn't understand the Max.  The remote modem gave up and
disconnected.  This can indicate a noisy phone line and/or damaged modem.

> 42  - PPP-PAP  Auth failed               65 - LCP Opened

Bad username and/or password.  Check for proper capitalization and/or
spaces in both the username and password fields.

> 45  - PPP-Receive Terminate Req   60 - LAN Session Up

Totally and completely normal.  Here, the peer (client side) requested
that the dialup ppp session be terminated.

> 185 - Remote End Hung Up              30 - Modem Up

See 3 items above.  This can indicate a noisy phone line and/or a damaged
modem.

> 11 - DCD detected but went inactive 60 - LAN Session Up

This is an improper disconnection, probably a noisy phone line.

> 10 - Modem never detected DCD      31 - Modem awaiting DCD

Noisy phone line and/or damaged modem.

> 14 - Progress Code 14                     10 - Call Up

This one I don't have.  Can someone fill in the blank?

> 185 - Remote End Hung Up               40 - Terminal Server started

Peer (client side) failed to initiate PPP, got tired of waiting and hung
up.

> 45 - PPP-Receive Terminate Req     65 - LCP Opened

In this case, the peer (client side) didn't like the way the LCP
negotiations went and requested a disconnection.  Check user settings and
try again.

> Thanks in advance

No problem.  I hope this has been helpful, and that other people will
correct any mistakes, or add their comments to this list.

Perhaps, if there's sufficient interest, I can host a trouble-shooting
guide that covers all this crap.

--
  Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
  Network Administrator, iPlus Internet Services