Re: (ASCEND) NAT On Pipeline 50...

At 16:58 1998/08/06 -0400, Todd A. Blank wrote:
>Can some give me the rundown on using NAT on a pipeline 50.  I am
>assigned 1 static IP address from the ISP.  I want to translate to all
>clients behind the Pipeline.
>
>If you don't want to go through it again, please point me to the
>information.  The description on Ascend's website didn't really cut it
>for me.  I am not sure where to put the static IP, Vs where to put my
>192.168.100.x IPs.

In configuring the pipeline, you do not need to enter that static IP
anywhere in the configuration. The pipeline will accept whatever
IP address the remote router says it should.

To setup the remote address of the ISP's router,
you can use just about anything, the NAT will translate this too,
just point the pipeline's default route at the same address.
Ex: Remote Addr: 10.20.30.40
    Default Route: 10.20.30.40

>Does the Ethernet get the Real IP or the Fake IP?

The "fake" one, whatever is valid on your local network.
The actuall translation of the addresses take place between
the ethernet and the WAN port, so in order for your workstations
to reach the world, they should point their "Default gateway" at
the "fake" address assigned to the pipeline.
----
Jim Howard             Sr Network Engineer        Lyceum Internet
jhoward@lyceum.com     http://www.lyceum.com/     404.248.1733

My PGP Public Key: http://www.lyceum.com/~jhoward/pgp-key.txt
Fingerprint: 7E8B E2BA 1314 2535 CB08  CFF9 119B 7CD3 2488 954D