Re: (ASCEND) Max 4000 memory

On Sun, 9 Aug 1998, Matt Holdrege wrote:

> >How does the Max 4000 w/48 modems compared to a cisco AS5200?  Just
> >dial-in?
>
> In what terms? The Max has far more features, yet the Cisco supports more
> routing protocols.

The most routing will just be OSPF for both.

I found the Lanquest report comparing the AS5200 and Max 4000
in 1996.  I just wonder if there have been any improvements
since then.  Looking from the hardware standpoint, the Max
should have done a better job.  I think it is just a matter
of tuning the software.

> >Also, it looks like I can put 6 of the 16-port modem card into it,
> >for a total of 96 modems.  Am I dreaming?
>
> Sorry, but there isn't enough electrical power on the 4000 for 6x16 modems.
> If density and performance are really important to you, you should get a
> Max 6000. It has far more CPU, memory and electrical power for the
> high-density slot cards.

Yes, if I could have afforded the Max 6000.  But at least someone
on the mailing list indicates that he has a 72-modem Max working.
It is still better than my original intention.

Thanks.
Bao

--
Bao C. Ha (bao@hacom.net)   http://www.hacom.net