Re: (ASCEND) Pipeline CRC Errors

Susie:  It may be the telco, it may be your CSU/DSU.

I have to deal with the "fine folks" at Southwestern Bell often enough to
know what to ask them and how to get them to do stuff.  Here are a few
things you might want to try:

Have them do a normal test to the demark to see if any errors are found.

If not, have them loop all the way to the CSU/DSU (they should be able to
do this too) and test for errors.  If errors are found it's possible that
the CSU/DSU is bad.  This may be sufficient reason to warrant the telco to
send a technician out to test the line from your end.

They have run "stress test" patterns on T-1s for us before that have
either uncovered errors or caused the circuit to be miraculously cured.

I have found that if they mess around with your circuit for long enough
they will either fix whatever is wrong or be able to give you "real proof"
that it's your equipment.

I don't see CSU/DSUs go bad much, but it happens.  If you have used
another CSU/DSU that showed errors, you should jump all over them until
they fix the circuit.  Sometimes you have to in order to get these things
accomplished.

(I think they should write a Dilbert cartoon about having to deal with
Telco providers *grin*)

-Rob-