Re: (ASCEND) Slow e-mail send when using NAT on P75

Both good suggestions, but as far as I know, Windows/Mac boxes don't have
an auth/ident server monitoring port 113, so it would time out anyway,
even if you were doing straight IP routing...

The reason I say this is that we had many customers complaining about slow
response times to send e-mail and when we turned this feature off in
Sendmail everything was back to its normal, speedy self.

If it were a reverse-lookup problem you would get some sort of error from
the SMTP server about that, rather than a timeout.

-Rob-

> The mail server you're delivering the mail to is trying to connect
> to your auth/ident port at 113 (to no avail). After a while it will
> time out and accept the mail anyway.
> A simple solution is to create a static (NAT) mapping on your
> pipeline that points to port 113 on the machine inside your LAN that
> is trying to send the mail.

[...]