Re: (ASCEND) Slow e-mail send when using NAT on P75

At 09:12 AM 8/10/98 , Rob Myers wrote:
>Both good suggestions, but as far as I know, Windows/Mac boxes don't have
>an auth/ident server monitoring port 113, so it would time out anyway,
>even if you were doing straight IP routing...

Wrong.  The Windows/Mac machines don't run anything on port 113, this is
true.  But they can and do respond with a "Connection Refused" response to
hits on that port.  The sendmail server gets this response and continues on
w/ the connection w/o delay.  The problem w/ computers behind NAT is the
sendmail server gets NO response back,  the ident connection request goes
to the bit bucket on the Pipeline.
---
kevin

ISDN/Commercial Support Dept                 kevin.b@flash.net
Flashnet Communications                         [Quake is law]