(ASCEND) Slow sending mail with NAT

Now that we've determined that sendmail is trying to do an ident lookup
when it gets a message, and that lookup is timing out in NAT
configurations, has anyone tried using a filter on the pipeline to block
port 113?  To my way of thinking, that should cause sendmail to get a
"Connection Refused" when trying an ident lookup instead of waiting for
the time out.  Perhaps, however, I'm wrong.  It may be that instead of
sending "Connection Refused", the filter just swallows the packets.

I don't currently have any pipelines running NAT, but I intend to in the
very near future, so I'm curious to see if this problem can be easily
solved.

|                    Lee Nelson                      |
|                   lwn@iwbc.net                     |
| Network Administration, IWBC ISP Services Inc.     |
|    Voice: (425)290-1800  Fax: (425)290-1751        |
| 8625 Evergreen Way, Suite 215,  Everett, WA  98204 |
|               http://www.iwbc.net                  |