(ASCEND) DS3 ATM into GRF

We have spent over month now trying to figure out how to get a DS3 of ATM
into a GRF.  One of our upstream providers wants to deliver bandwidth to
us on DS3 ATM, and also, one of our Telco's is going to be providing
connections into their DSL network over DS3 ATM.  So far, we haven't found
a reasonable solution. Here are the dead ends that we've hit:

There is a HSSI card for the GRF, but it only does Frame Relay and PPP.
It does NOT do ATM.  The GRF does do ATM at an OC3 level and higher, but
we are talking about DS3.

Several people from Ascend told us bring the DS3 ATM into an SA-100, and
then go 100bT from there into a GRF.  However, other people from Ascend
explained to us that the SA-100 doesn't do ip level work.  Instead, it
just encapsulates ethernet frames into ATM and takes them back out again.
That means that the SA-100 wants ATM encapsulated ethernet, and not ATM
encapsulated ip.  Neither of the two companies we are working with is
going to do this.

Someone elso suggested a CSU/DSU that has the added capability of
converting ATM to Frame before sending it out the HSSI port.  However, our
upstream provider warned us that the perfomance of this unit is not
acceptable.

So, now we are at the end of our rope, and time is running out.  Is anyone
out there bringing DS3 over ATM into a GRF, and if so, how are you doing
it?

|                    Lee Nelson                      |
|                   lwn@iwbc.net                     |
| Network Administration, IWBC ISP Services Inc.     |
|    Voice: (425)290-1800  Fax: (425)290-1751        |
| 8625 Evergreen Way, Suite 215,  Everett, WA  98204 |
|               http://www.iwbc.net                  |