(ASCEND) Limitation of Max 1800's on ethernet and WAN

Hello

we have around 20 Max 1800's which we use at remote sites to have clients
connect into us via ISDN and Frame relay services.

At one particular site, we believe that the max's or one particular max in
general is falling over when the tough gets going.

It connects to our main site via a bonded 256K link and we add anotther
additional 256K when require if ethernet->wan traffic gets past a certain
point.

>From time to time, if we ping from a workstation on the local ethernet segment
over to another site of ours via this particular max, our ping times will be
anywhere from 48ms to 1500 ms - and that can be within say two or 3 pings.

We can have clients all pounding away via the 256K wan interface and the ping
times all be below 100ms and then for no reason, their utilisation may drop
down and our ping times may go up.

We suspect that teh max 1800's cpu is suffering with about 35 static routes
listed and around 4Gb of traffic out our link per day (the one to another one
 of oru sites) plus who knows how much else is going via the ethernet.

Is this possible? can the max 1800 cpu overload for switching reasons and hence
give abnormally high ping times?

REgards

adam

                  IPAX Systems