Re: (ASCEND) Smurf attacks...

On Thu, Aug 13, 1998 at 12:56:50PM -0400, RHS Linux User wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Can someone please direct me as to how to prevent Smurf attacks from going
>through a max 4000?

We have seen several Smurf attacks to our Maxen, and they always seemed to
be echo requests to either the network address of the Max (i.e. 192.168.1.0
if it's on that Class C), or to the network broadcast address.  We stopped
this particular class of attacks by blocking the network and broadcast
destination addresses for all internal networks at the border router(s).

There are two options on the Max that I think are related to this.  If I
remember correctly these are under Ethernet->Mod Config, and say something
to the effect, respond to network echo request and respond to broadcast
echo request.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.

A Galileo could no more be elected president of the United States than
he could be elected Pope of Rome.  Both high posts are reserved for men
favored by God with an extraordinary genius for swathing the bitter
facts of life in bandages of self-illusion.
                -- H. L. Mencken