(ASCEND) Re: Digital Line Quality Issues

Marcel Brown <marcel@marcelbrown.com> wrote:
> >If the users are getting better than V.34 connections, then they are
> >NOT connecting to an ISP with analog lines.  V.90/K-Flex/X2 won't
> >work unless one of the ends is digital.
>
> Correct. I didn't mean to imply that some users are getting better than
> v.34 connections to analog providers. I meant that some users are getting
> more reliable connections to analog providers (at least that's what they
> claim).

We've currently got a very self-contained example of that kind of thing
here. We are going from channelized T1 to PRI, and customers in one
area get a nice stable connection to the CT1, but an unstable one to the
PRI. The connect rate is -usually- better, but it's all over the place.
For example, the CT1 might be a straight 26.4 while the PRI could be up
in the 30's most of the time and, every so often, 14.4, etc. The
biggest problem, tho, are disconnects. Since it seems to be folks in
one area, the equipment at the customer's end is the same, and the
equipment at our end is almost the same (it plugs into another port on
the Max [ BTW, I have tried switching them around ]), I'm inclined
to think it's due to taking a different route in a part of the telco's
system starting fairly near the customer's neck of the system. Of course,
since getting to the bottom of it is in the telco's hands, things proceed
slowly.

Anyway, it's just a very self-contained example of the kind of thing
you're talking about.

Matt
--
Matt Magri