(ASCEND) Repair Facilities & Service Contracts?

I just got a Fax from Ascend ref repairing a Max4004...   Evidently they
just charge (regardless of problem, could just be another $100 power
supply) a flat rate of $1883.   This seems kind of high to me, and not
based at all on what could/may be both the labor envolved and any parts
needed.

Does *anyone* have any repair facility to look at my 'non-booting' Max?
Reply privately if you like.  I have already replaced all 4 Fans, and +5,-5
Power Supply, so problem must be MB related.  Problem seemed to originate
when 1 of the original 3 small fans smoked.... Unit is only 2 years old,
was fixed by Ascend under warranty a year ago for similar type problem,
perhaps I should have taken that as an indication that service contracts
that cost 30-50% of replacment value of the equipment are *typical* for the
ISP Community.  Having worked in the Medical Equipment industry where
equipment is also very expensive, depreciates rather quickly due to
technology shifts, even 10% or greater as compared replacement value of the
equipment for service contracts is absurb.  To see that ISP's are paying
such a high rate for service contracts while trying to keep their costs
low, and their equipment near obsolete each 4 years, really is sorta
depressing.

PS: Sending this again to Ascend and USR List - as I never even saw it get
up on Ascend's group for reply.  Is the market on repair totally controlled
by Ascend by themselves? I know I had a heck of a time getting repair parts
(fans and power supply) other than hints from the list and research looking
for the OEM's of various componets.

Thanks...
***** Top Net InterNet Services *****
Omaha, Nebraska         Husker Heaven