Re: (ASCEND) Repair Facilities & Service Contracts?

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Jim Logan wrote:

> perhaps I should have taken that as an indication that service contracts
> that cost 30-50% of replacment value of the equipment are *typical* for the
> ISP Community.  Having worked in the Medical Equipment industry where
> equipment is also very expensive, depreciates rather quickly due to
> technology shifts, even 10% or greater as compared replacement value of the
> equipment for service contracts is absurb.  To see that ISP's are paying
> such a high rate for service contracts while trying to keep their costs
> low, and their equipment near obsolete each 4 years, really is sorta
> depressing.

It would seem to indicate that Ascend know something that we don't...

Those of us who have had a MAX let the smoke out have some idea.

I bugs me that Ascend have never confessed to us that, yes, those little
fans die.  I have put AC powered fans outside the cases to replace the
internal fans on three of my MAXen and had _them_ die from heat stress.
I've now got 8" AC fans on each unit.  The boxes run about 3 degrees
hotter than room temp.  The fans haven't died get because they aren't
running at > 40 degrees C.

I'll know if there is a third party repairer here in Australia shortly.