(ASCEND) NAT-static mapping problem solved!- not a problem

Hi everyone,
Thought  I would share the solution to my NAT-static mapping problem as
I've seen quite a few other posts regarding NAT not working and I
believe a lot of people could have the same situation.

Outbound NAT has been working well for us all along (except when we
first got the P75 software 4.6 did not support it) until we needed to
provide inbound access via NAT.

The scenario is this, we've got a computer on the LAN we wanted to
provide access to occasionally for FTP and this also holds true if you
want to telnet to the Pipeline from the WAN side.

I set up the static mappings in the P75 - checked the current dynamic IP
assigned by our ISP ("natl" in debug) and went to another computer on
the LAN and tried it out - not working. I set up a few more static
mappings - no luck - it seemed to not be working. I started looking at
the Debug output but was unable to make anything out from that. I
E-Mailed Ascend and they responded with all the setup info I already had
and suggested I try to set up a static mapping to telnet to the P75 - no
luck.

I've seen enough postings to know it should be working - so right before
I called Ascend (they suggested I call them and let them look at the
Pipe) I got a notebook that is not on the LAN and using a modem dialed
another ISP - Bingo! it was working perfectly - all three static
mappings worked.

So it all boils down to the fact that I was testing the setup from the
same LAN that the P75 and the computer we were trying to access are on.
This is of course not the way it would be used in a real situation but
it didn't really occur to me to go to someone elses LAN or to dial out
with a modem to test. I was also able to dial out from the same computer
I was originally testing from and it works then also.

So to sum up - something about the NAT prevents computers on the same
LAN from accessing other computers on the LAN via the IP assigned by the
ISP - an out and back kind of thing. So to test your NAT static mapping
setup - test from another LAN or dial out with a modem to your ISP.

Regards
Scott Starbuck