Re: (ASCEND) LAN security errors

On Sat, 22 Aug 1998, Technical Support wrote:

> I work for a local ISP, and one of our Ascend servers (a Max 4000) has
> recently developed the following problem.  Users dialing in are receiving
> LAN security errors, yet their passwords are definitely being typed in
> correctly.  We are using Radius authentication, with two Radius servers.
> On both servers, two copies of radiusd are running, and the users' database
> files are synchronised between both machines.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why this problem has developed, or have any ideas
> about how to solve it ?  Any help would be very much appreciated.

Yeah, if they're running some version of Windows9x or NT, make sure that
they don't have any of the following checked in the properties for the
Dial Up Networking connection: Log on to network, Enable Software
Compression, Require Encrypted Password, Use LCP Protocol Extensions.

Also, make sure their user names are being typed correctly and that
they're not sending the domain name as part of their login (particularly
in NT).  One of the hardest ones to spot is when they put a space before
the user name.  Also, make sure their [CapsLock] is off.

We have a wonderful util that we use called radauth (originally from the
Livingston radius, but modified greatly in-house) which allows tech
support to verify that a password is correct (it returns the error
message, if any, or the shell assigned to that account).   Sometimes
people's passwords aren't what they think they are.

- J-Mag Guthrie

| The only function of | Brokersys                 | Talk sense   |
| economic forcasting  | 12703 Vets Memorial, #106 | to a fool    |
| is to make astrology | Houston, TX 77014         | and he calls |
| look respectable.    | +1-281-895-8101 (voice)   | you foolish. |
|                      | +1-281-895-8109 (fax)     |              |
|  - John K. Galbraith | http://www.brokersys.com/ | - Euripides  |