(ASCEND) LAN security errors

I work for a local ISP, and one of our Ascend servers (a Max 4000) has
recently developed the following problem.  Users dialing in are receiving
LAN security errors, yet their passwords are definitely being typed in
correctly.  We are using Radius authentication, with two Radius servers.
On both servers, two copies of radiusd are running, and the users' database
files are synchronised between both machines.

Does anyone have any idea why this problem has developed, or have any ideas
about how to solve it ?  Any help would be very much appreciated.