Re: (ASCEND) Re: Clocking question

At 03:04 PM 12/23/98 -0500, Phillip Vandry wrote:
>> >Am I way off?
>>
>> I sure hope you're not asking me. You used "pleisiochronous" in a sentence.
>> if this were Scrabble, I'd forfeit.
>
>No, that one was intended for anyone on the list who knows better than
>me :-)
>
>Once our ILEC had an equipment failure and 5 of our PRIs went down. The
>tech said it was do to a faulty model so-and-so digital cross connect
>from Alcatel, so I looked it up in an Alcatel price list, and whatever
>the thing was, it was described as pleisiochronous. So I looked that
>up in a glossary, and that's how I learned that word... and that's the
>only reason I know what it means :-)

Back to high school Etymology...

Plesio meaning close. Sync meaning together. Synchronous timing means timed
exactly together. Plesiochronous is timed pretty close together. The old
TDM network is made up of different timing sources which are pretty close.
Thus it is the Plesiochronous Digital Hierarchy. The new SDH/Sonet network
is timed together the same at every point. SDH stands for the Synchronous
Digital Hierarchy.