Re: (ASCEND) Telnet connections refused on Max4k

> We've got a pair of maxen running 5.0Ap36.  Just before I left for the
> holidays, I noticed they were refusing telnet connections.  They were
> functioning normally in every other way--letting users in, and allowing me
> console access.
>
> I eventually rebooted them, clearing up the problem.  However, when I
> checked them this morning, they'd started refusing telnet access again.

I changed the address of my SNMP management station a few weeks ago. Big
job, I had to change trap destination address on all my routers and stuff,
and well as some IP address based security I'd forgotten I had in many
Maxes and other routers. Anyway, by the time I got around to changing
the Maxes, they were freaking out from SNMP authentication failures,
and this seems to have affected the 5.0X maxes by causing them to
refuse telnets. It affected the 6.0.X maxes not at all.

So SNMP authentication failures is definately something that can cause
this problem. Check to see if you are getting any (watch for
Authentication-Failure traps being sent). Maybe someone is blasting
your boxes with bogus SNMP requests.

-Phil