(ASCEND) Telnet connections refused on Max4k

We've got a pair of maxen running 5.0Ap36.  Just before I left for the
holidays, I noticed they were refusing telnet connections.  They were
functioning normally in every other way--letting users in, and allowing me
console access.

I eventually rebooted them, clearing up the problem.  However, when I
checked them this morning, they'd started refusing telnet access again.

So, is anyone aware of any bugs and/or DoS attacks that could cause this?
(Or a setting, even?  I looked through the reference manual and found a
few _related_ settings, but none of them looked like they would
completely stop port 23 from accepting connections.)