Re: (ASCEND) P75s and 5.1

At 08:26 PM 1/28/98 +0100, Thomas Falk Claezon wrote:
>On 21 January 1998, Kevin A. Smith <kevin@ascend.com> wrote:
>> At 10:10 AM 1/21/98 -0800, Michael Medwid wrote:
>> >
>> >Our Pipeline 75s are now coming in installed with 5.1 code.  Any feedback
>> >on this release?
>> >We need IP, IPX, NAT (one to many), DHCP spoofing.  Thanks.
>>
>> I'm only using it for IP, telecommuting, I dial back into Ascend corporate.
>>
>> I've had great success since upgrading to 5.1Ap6 (the only problems I'd
>> had previously was if I left the session up for hours - maybe 6 or so, then
>> I started to find some new TCP sessions would fail).
>
>I still have the problem Kevin describe above in 5.1Ap6 on my (old)
>Pipeline 75. I reported this to emeasupport earlier today (appended below)!

OK, I'm sending this now over a P75 on 5.1Ap6 that has been up now for over
16 hours - overnight it was checking my email (POP3) every 30 minutes. It's
still up now, and I can surf the WEB and all that from 3 different hosts.

>> I'll be trying out 5.1Ap9 and the 6.0 BETA releases this weekend....
>
>Any feedback etc?

On a backup machine (P85) I have 6.0b2 running. No problems so far, but I
have not really been stressing it either.

>We realy need a stable P75, MAX 4K and Radius setup for our
>telecomuting users. We are close, but there are still some annoying
>problems with the P75 and Radius.

I'll check into those....

-----------------------------
>Ticket # 260750

uptime!

>We have an "old" Pipeline 75 (S/N 721xxxx), running 5.1Ap6 (b.p75) and
>configured for single adress NAT. The problem usually occours after more
>than 8 hours of usage, and usually shortly after renewed authentication.

Aha....that's probably related then. Mine does add/drop the second channel
during the 16 hours, but auth is straight PAP.

>We use SAFEWORD and CACHE-TOKEN to authenticate our users. This makes the
>problem worse, because we can *not* do a "system reset" within an
>"authentication period" without loosing the "session shared secret" used by
>the P75 and Radius. If we in this case do a system reset, then we must wait
>untill the cached "session shared secret" expires from the radius cache,
>before the P75 can be used again (in our setup this can be upto 8 hours).

How is that? Why 8 hours?

>The only circumvention that we have been able to use, are to do a preventive
>system reset *between* "autentication periods".

OK, I am confused. I'll check into the ticket to see who is working on it!

Kevin