(ASCEND) ISDN Up all the time??!!

Hello,

I am having a problem that Ascend tech support (with contract :) ) could
not help with.

We have several P75's in the field and some of them are keeping the line up
all the time, resulting in outrageous charges, like $50,000 in one month.

I am using the standard IP call filter, but nothing else.

What concerns me is that the router is doing exactly what it should be
doing, routing data. In other words, I know that if it sees data, it will
either keep a session active, or initiate a session.

Has anyone dealt with this errant ISDN use, and if so what did they do to
stop it. I am thinking of making a filter that blocks all packets, except
for ... This exclude list would include DNS, SMTP, some of our own
proprietary protocols, and maybe HTTP. All other data would be blocked. Is
this the only way to go??  Does anyone have such a filter they could share
with me as an example??

The environment in each office is similar

	PC's running NT WS, version 3.51 or 4.0. They are using a remote PDC, located
	at the central site. They are using NetBios over TCP/IP.

	Unix systems, mostly Sun's. They get their mail and DNS/NIS locally on
	a server in that office.

I know I am not providing a lot of detail, the problem is that we do not
have much. Just BIG bills. With the exception of people running endless
pings, which does happen some times, the users swear they are doing nothing
that would keep the lines active.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thanks in advance...Michael

| Michael Hyman                              Quickturn Design Systems    |
| Manager, Information Technology Group      55 West Trimble Road        |
| mhyman@quickturn.com                       San Jose, Ca. 95131         |
| (408) 914-6409 Voice                       (408) 914-6909 Fax          |
| "Out the 10Base-T, through the router, off the bridge, over the leased |
|       line, past the firewall, down the T1...nothing but Net."         |