Re: (ASCEND) ISDN Up all the time??!!

> Has anyone dealt with this errant ISDN use, and if so what did they do to
> stop it. I am thinking of making a filter that blocks all packets, except
> for ... This exclude list would include DNS, SMTP, some of our own
> proprietary protocols, and maybe HTTP. All other data would be blocked. Is
> this the only way to go??  Does anyone have such a filter they could share
> with me as an example??
>
> The environment in each office is similar
>
> 	PC's running NT WS, version 3.51 or 4.0. They are using a remote PDC, located
> 	at the central site. They are using NetBios over TCP/IP.

This is likely your problem.  Switch to NetBios over NetBEUI.  The NetBios
machines on the LAN are polling the LAN with a broadcast packet.  That poll
will cause the Ascend to raise the ISDN connection.

--

       - Frank Bieser 			Jump Point Communications, Inc.	-
      -- frankb@jump.net		Voice: (512) 257-4700		--