(ASCEND) unix passwords and aac

Having some trouble here getting our brand new ascend max 6000 to use
ascend access control to authenticate out of a UNIX password file. If I
create and entry in the aac users file which uses Authentication-Type =
Unix-PW and then use radpwtst to check the authentication, it works fine
and authenticates properly out of /etc/passwd. However, when I dial-up to
the max and login via PPP, the authentication fails. Dial-in as well as
radpwtst both work fine when using an entry that has a plaintext password
in the /etc/raddb/users file.

Any ideas? It seems like I'm making a rookie faux pa, but the documentation
for this stuff is so awful...