RE: (ASCEND) Appletalk Filters for P85

         Reply to:   RE: (ASCEND) Appletalk Filters for P85
msheehan wrote:
>I am currently configuring a Pipeline 85 to connect to a Max 4002.  The
>Pipeline is for a home office and will have a PC and a Mac connected to it.
>It is setup to bridge IP, IPX and Appletalk.  I have successfully setup
>filters for the PC so that the idle timer works correctly and the line only
>comes up on IP traffic with a bridge address configured and dial broadcast
>= no.  Everything worked great until I put the Mac on.  I have setup
>filters for the Mac and they apparently are working for the idle timer.
>What's not working is the Mac will periodically bring up the line with an
>echo packet.  I have put a sniffer on the line and found it to be an
>appletalk echo packet (809b) and the destination is the hardware address
>(bridge address) of my router.  It won't send out the packet until the line
>has come up at least once after the Pipeline has been rebooted.  I can't
>filter out 809b totally, or then Appletalk won't work at all.  Any
>suggestions (besides get rid of theMac)?

Appletalk on dialup connections has always been problematic; partly because its always looking for other devices, and partly because its minority status has discouraged people from finding a solution. One solution is OfficeConnect/A SLM, which runs on 3Com's OfficeConnect routers, and apparently 'spoofs' the connection.
(apologies for the earlier incomplete post)

IDEO London User Support ------------------------
mailto:srahilly@ideo.com
P + 44 (0) 1523 132852
D + 44 (0) 171 813 0587 x 2258