Re: (ASCEND) Appletalk Filters for P85

>From: msheehan@sctcorp.com
>
>I am currently configuring a Pipeline 85 to connect to a Max 4002.  The
>Pipeline is for a home office and will have a PC and a Mac connected to it.
>It is setup to bridge IP, IPX and Appletalk.  I have successfully setup
>filters for the PC so that the idle timer works correctly and the line only
>comes up on IP traffic with a bridge address configured and dial broadcast
>= no.  Everything worked great until I put the Mac on.  I have setup
>filters for the Mac and they apparently are working for the idle timer.
>What's not working is the Mac will periodically bring up the line with an
>echo packet.  I have put a sniffer on the line and found it to be an
>appletalk echo packet (809b) and the destination is the hardware address
>(bridge address) of my router.  It won't send out the packet until the line
>has come up at least once after the Pipeline has been rebooted.  I can't
>filter out 809b totally, or then Appletalk won't work at all.  Any
>suggestions (besides get rid of theMac)?

Can you route instead of bridge? That would be the easiest.

You say you have "filters for the Mac" on the link. Are you doing the
Macintosh alias style of filtering that Ascend lays out here?

http://www.ascend.com/681.html

Also, have you seen this?

http://www.ascend.com/697.html

Peter Lalor           Infoasis
plalor@infoasis.com   The San Francisco Bay Area's
415-459-7991 x102     Macintosh Internet Service Provider
415-459-7992 fax      http://www.infoasis.com/