(ASCEND) mlppp + ascend + 3com impact + linux

i'm trying to get mlppp working under linux (2.1.x) with a 3com impact-iq
and an ascendmax on the remote side.

unfortunately, the stock pppd (2.3.3) under linux doesn't like the
fact that the ascend requests LCP option 19 (mlppp end point identifier)
during the conf negotiation phase. i'm trying to implement the appropriate
changes to pppd so that it ack's the option. i've gotten that far (cut and
paste from ipppd), but when i send the ack back, the ascend doesn't
respond. instead, it eventually times out and sends another conf request.

i'd appreciate a quick intro on how lcp negotiation works so i can
figure this out (better yet, a pppd that works with my configuration would
be great! :-)

everything works fine under windows, but i don't know of anything that will
give me a breakdown of the ppp initialization sequence (lcp exchange)
between the pc and the ascend so i can see how windows handles this option.

thanks for any help,

jeff