Re: (ASCEND) Max-4000 E1/T1

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Jason Nealis wrote:

>  Ahhhh, Ok, I thought they were the same. Besides signaling what is
> the difference from E1 to T1? is there a command channel like the D
> channel for signaling?

They are different at the physical level (sorry, I don't know the
details).

Beyond that, (as you know) T1 provides 24x64k channels whereas E1 provides
31x64kchannels.  With E1, it is customary to do signalling in channel 16 -
signalling can be either an ISDN D-channel, SS#7, or (as someone else
pointed out) R2 (no doubt there are others too).

One thing that's rarely (if ever) done with E1 is robbed-bit signalling
(along with T1, NI-n, 56k etc it is a North American peculiarity).

A common aspect is the nature of D-channel signalling.  This is defined at
higher levels and is independent of T1 -vs- E1 type issues.

HTH,
Neale.