Real Time Ascend Maling List Archive

RE: (ASCEND) 4004 vs. 4048

Performance wise, the difference is negligible.

The real question, is to ask about the motivations behind the trade.  Is the
other person planning on using those modems in a 6048 to create a 6096?  If
so, then the motives are honorable.  In your shoes, I would probably hang on
to the 4048 for the exact same reason...  to use the modems in a 6000
chassis.

OTOH, If you do a lot of ISDN or T1 customers, the 4004 is nice because
while you might only have 48 modems, you can slap another PRI in for ISDN
only.  You can even use those CSUs for PtP T1s to your customers.

I have an empty 4004 chassis that's doing just that..  3 PtP T1s now, and
waiting for a PRI to add to our ISDN Centrex group. Another 4004 chassis at
a remote pop has 48 modems and also does the PtP T1 back to our main
facility.  A third POP was lucky enough to recieve a 4048 with 1 damaged
CSU.  Ascend was kind enough to enable the second 2 for a total of 3 CSUs (1
of which is a PtP T1 back to our main facilities).

It's all a matter of how you're growing and what type of customers you have
and expect to have.

At the very least, I would recommend that you have some sort of contract
stating that either of you can reverse the trade within 6 months or so (in
case you end up with flaky hardware)

.02,

-Troy