Problem with save game feature

The save game feature is really nice, but as it is currently implemented
it seems to unbalance the game somewhat.

If I clear out, say the brown house which I consider to be one of the
easier levels and then save the game all is well.  However, when I
return to the game, I can go back to the brown house and can clear it out again.
Gaining more experience as I do so.  Worse, though is that if I kill off
the grimreaper each time, I can essentially get an infinite supply
of potions, thus raising stats rapidly.

I realise that the whole issue of game saving is problematic, and I
certainly don't have any idea what the right solution should be, but
I do think that the current approach isn't quite right.

Pat Place   prp@sei.cmu.edu