Re: More Thoughts.

Eric Anderson <eanders+@cmu.edu>
> Well, I don't disallow solo-playing, indeed, I don't see how you
> could.  Given that you'd never be able to get two people on to start
> having multiple players.  Most people seem to like my setup, the main
> complaint would be that the server crashes too often and they can't
> "backup" their player files to keep this from happening.  (Not that I
> think anyone would "backup" their files against death or anything like
> that.)

Obviously, this depends on your definition of solo-playing :-) What I
meant, was: Around here, it's not uncommon that we have 3-4 servers
running at once, since each player start their own. Maybe I've
misunderstood, but I don't think they can do that in your setup, they
can only connect to the one server. So, if there are anyone else
playing, you'll bump into them if you like it or no. Anyway, this
gives most impact because players can't reset the server, ie. clean
out a nice easy level, quit, go back and do it once more. With a
single server, you force people to explore more.

BTw, does the server sleep when there are no players on? The
map-resetting is done by timestamps, and I can't think of anything
else that would need attention with no players on.

Kjetil T.