Re: More Thoughts.

I don't mind the idea of an alchemy spell. I do think you should get
*some* gold out of organics, though. I guess this would be a popular
spell to use on plate mail +3's and ring mails ditto.  I think this
spell should have very low cost, maybe even 0 sp. Of course, you could
put in a fail chance so you get a lot of lead nuggets instead 5% of
the time :-) (just enough so you can be unlucky and have a story to
tell your Crossfire-addicted friends)

Regarding single-player Crossfire: I find it a little regressive. Like
others said, if you want single-player, there's always Ultima, Dungeon
Master, Nethack etc. etc. (but I see your point about user-
configurability).  Nothing can stop you from making one though, that's
the beauty of the GPL :-)

Regarding random monsters: Maybe what's needed is invisible,
indestructable and non-blocking generators. Mmm, and perhaps they
shouldn't generate when there are players within range.

      / outer range   -  inner   -  outer range  \
     |              /             \               |
     |    Player   |   Generator   |              |
     |              \             /               |

Ie. if the player is outside the outer range or inside the inner
range, the generator won't generate.

Regarding tiles: Great portions of the game engine must be redesigned.
Do we have a volunteer? :-) It would be good if the game didn't "swap"
out on a map-basis, but had some internal swap handling on object
level. Unless the swap file is going to be huge (ie. the objects are
written raw to disc), this will be tricky.

Regarding combat-messages: Count one vote in favour of a graphical
display. I know we have some good artists out there - nice bitmaps
keep trickling into the game. This would however be a large
undertaking.

Frank:
> Goudge Austin wrote:
> > I think that the main attraction of Crossfire (to me) is the multiplayer
> > facility.
> Indeed!  Too bad so few are utilizing this...

I guess the best solution to this is to set up a crossfire server and
disallow solo-playing. How do your players feel about your setup,
Eric?

Regarding the spell "knock": Yes! A very useful spell. Hmm, perhaps we
should have a "lockpick" with "slay door" for the poor warriors? :-)

Regarding magic mapping: Please do not put in any features which make
it easier to play on a colour terminal only. Would it be possible to
use dithering instead of colour on monochrome displays? (We do have
colour terminals, but I'd rather not see them tied up by Crossfire
players.  Gives us a bad name, see?)

Regarding crossedit: Petri, I'm glad to hear you'll add cut/paste. I
truly love your editor :-) One thing, though - I want more actions to
put in translations in X resources. Specifically, I'd like to add a
keyboard shortcut to Enter map. Would that be hard to add? (in fact,
it would be nice with actions for every menu item)

Kjetil T.