crossfire font

Hello,

    I am having some problems getting the crossfire font to load up!
I have 'crossfire.snf' in my font directory and did 'mkfontdir' which
gave me a 'fonts.dir' file with the following format :

1
crossfire.snf     crossfire

    However when I try to start up crossfire I get the following :

$ crossfire
Welcome to CrossFire, v0.88.0, copyright (C) 1992 Frank Tore Johansen.
Trying to fix fontpath for display :0.0.
Display :0.0 doesn't have the right fontpath.
Usage: crossfire [-h] [-<flags>] [display1] [display2]...

    Yet when I check the font path checked by the X server I get

$ xset q
Keyboard Control:
  auto repeat:  on    key click percent:  0    LED mask:  00000000
  auto repeating keys:  00f0af03e0ff77f2
                        ff7bf0ff1ff8df03
                        1100000000000000
                        0000000000000000
  bell percent:  50    bell pitch:  0    bell duration:  100
Pointer Control:
  acceleration:  2/1    threshold:  15
Screen Saver:
  prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
  timeout:  0    cycle:  600
Colors:
  default colormap:  0x80076    BlackPixel:  1    WhitePixel:  0
Font Path:
  <my-font-dir>,/usr/openwin/lib/fonts

    This shows that my font directory is being set correctly by
XSetFontPath in xio.c (line 141) but XListFonts is not picking up
the font in xio.c (lines 154, 160).

    I separated the code that is supposed to find the font to try to
determine what was going wrong, but with no luck.  Note that the
xlsfonts unix command also failed to pick it up!

    Note that I used to be able to get crossfire to work a month or
two ago but only on some of the Sun SPARC stations that we have here.
This had a font path (as reported by 'xset q') of :

 /local/X11R5/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/local/X11R5/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,/local/X11R5/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,/local/X11R5/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/,<my-font-dir>

    Those machines that I couldn't get crossfire to work on had the same
font path as the first.  You may have noticed the different places in
which my font directory appears in each font path (at the start for the
first and at the end for the second) - I tried both ways!

    I also tried to set the font path, when I still could run it on some,
on those machines that I could not to that of the one with 'Speedo' in it!
(Get that everyone?)

    This didn't work either!

    Now I can't run crossfire on any of the machines I used to and it is
driving me batty : I don't know what the system operators did and I am
not going to go and ask them! (unless I have another good reason!)

Thanks for any help,

                    Rohan Talip (rohan@sorokin.anu.edu.au)

P.S.  I tried using the 'crossfire.pcf' file and re-'mkfontdir'ed the
        font directory but it still didn't work!

P.P.S.  Most of the files in the /usr/openwin/lib/fonts directory have
        .ff, .f3b or .fm suffixes if this helps anyone.