Re: Death

Joe writes:

> My feeling is that a very advanced character should have a way to be able to
> be saved from death by monsters -- but not death by other players.  The
> character should have to make some advance preparations to be saved.  My
> reasoning goes like this; for 1st to 9th level characters, death is a reality,
> but OK since it only means the loss of a couple of hours (except for
> inexperienced players).  For 10th to 20th level characters, death is a real
> nuisance.  You have to have played the game several times to be able to get
> that high, and it takes many hours.  Furthermore, you tend to stop exploring
> at this stage, since you don't want to have wasted that all that time playing
> just to die in a "screw you" map that got tossed in there without having
> several gravestones put in front of it.  For higher level characters, death is
> only going to happen when the player really screws up, like pressing 'A' when
> you meant 'a' and opening up the room with the 100 demon lords.  It's just a
> factor of you pressing the wrong buttons, not having the wrong idea.  The
> later two situations should be preventable, at some considerable expense to
> the character.  However, the possibility of getting killed by other players
> should always be present.

I would find it really boring if I stopped exploring after reaching 10th level.
For me at least, exploring new maps is one of the best parts of playing
crossfire. Playing the same maps all the time gets tedious. The real problem
seems to be maps that are unfair to players. Rather than changing the game
we should fix or ditch bad maps. Now that skulls and beholders are much
nastier, map creators should cut the number appearing in their older maps.
(Also it would be nice if spell casting monsters didn't autofire endless
streams of spells at you. Maybe they need spell delays or less spellpoints)

> I propose a system in which a character can make arrangements to be recalled
> at the moment before death to a certain position on a certain other map that
> is set up before death occurs.  I'm imagining buying the "scroll of divine
> life insurance" and applying it in some secret place.  A small halo appears in
> that place wich can be picked up and moved by anyone.  Mid-level characters
> might even have a way of foiling this, perhaps with some sort of "dispell
> magic" spell.  The point is, other players can screw it up on you.  It should
> be really expensive too -- I'm thinking around 50-100 thousand to set it up
> each time, and when you come back you have a -1 to all your stats.

There is already the amulet of lifesaving. If avoiding death becomes too
easy the game will become boring.

Rupert