Re: Death

In message <9303170712.AA22404@amtoo.ucsc.edu>you write:

> [ explore mode ]

>  There will be problems with it for multi player sites (I'm a single
> player.)  Namely, a person could enter explore mode can kill all
> the players.  I haven't looked over the crossfire code enough to
> see if it can be determined if a game is multiplayer or single player.  If
> that is easy to do, explore mode could be prevent in multiplayer games,
> and people who have entered explore mode can not add new players in.
>
>  I guess that would cover most of the bases?

If someone goes into explore mode, they should only be able to do it if they
are the only one in the game, _and_ if they exit, all the levels should be
reset before a non-explore-mode character is let into the game. 'add should
be disabled too, obviously. This is so an explore mode char clears the
monsters and the normal char picks up the toys.

The only other thing is that it might make it too easy to work out how to
solve some puzzles, particularly any where you have to solve it quickly to
avoid taking too much damage (like if there's lots of bullet walls or
something)

Other than that its sounds pretty cool. Another thing that could be cute
is an 'observer' mode, where you can attach to a player and see what they
see. I was thinking it might be cute to allow them to wander around like
ghosts, but this would mean they could scout ahead for a normal player.

(a footnote to all those complaining of mass death problems - make sure its
not 0.88.5 you are playing, there was some nasty imbalance with monsters
and spells they were casting.)

Anthony