Re: One bug, and a suggestion

In message <9303152325.AA21989@cyclone.cs.odu.edu>you write:

> During the course of play, we here @ ODUCS have found that we died a whole
> lot 8)  I've hacked up the 89.1 code so that if you die
>
> 	-- you lose all your stuff (and get the default equipment)
> 	-- You go down to the previous level
> 		-- your exp points are set to the minimum needed for
> 		   that level
> 	-- You go back to the start map.
> 	-- You still know all your spells (for the moment)
> 	-- All your pets die
>
> What do the rest of you think?  I've kept a define (HARSH_DEATH) so the
> behavior can be set back to the default.  If anyone wants the 89.1 diffs, let
> me know.  If any author type entities are interested, let me know too.  I'm
> still testing, but as far as I know, they're fairly stable at the moment.

This reduces the nastiness of death a whole lot. Making these mods removes
some of the tension (the "oh my god, I'm going to diiiiiiie" feeling when
your level 5 character does something stupid :) and makes it more a "oh
dear, what a pity, no matter, wont take long to get the points back"

Under your mods, do your items just drop to the ground, like they do with a
normal death? If so, the loss of items is probably not that big a deal,
since you could just run in on autopickup mode and grab them all (assuming
you havent got something like a Dread hanging around.)

Only one level is kinda light penalty... maybe make it something like 'half
your exp', or something - and for kiks, leave the pet there, but make it
become hostile like an ordinary monster. (nethack ghosts, anyone?)

All this IMHO, of course.

Anthony
--
 anthony baxter                 australian artificial intelligence institute
email : anthony@aaii.oz.au         1 grattan st, carlton, australia 3053